Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Returning Home.

Well - there goes posting every day. I guess it's ok not to. Probably a combination of feeling perhaps a bit happier and also the night shifts. :P

I am finally back in the ED. I'm about to head into my 3rd shift as a second year and, I must say, it's quite nice. I'm feeling much more comfortable with patient care, flow, diagnosis, management, and disposition. This makes me feel good about myself and reinforces why I'm here. Yesterday was a bit tough in the "Major" side; I got bogged down with procedures and had some trouble balancing that with seeing new patients. That being said, my first patient was a guy with a 50% pneumothorax and HUGE pleural effusion. After I put in his chest tube we got 1500 mL of fluid out! Shazaam!

I've been feeling pretty happy with myself from a production / professional standpoint too. I got a position in EMRA, I have 2-3 pretty solid looking research projects about to get off the ground, and I am trying to get my climbing tuned up. I don't like, however, all the paper work that comes with all of that. I ended up spending the last 2 days strictly on paper-work related things. I need to get a haircut, change my oil, get my car tuned up, and still look into getting hard-wood floors. Whoooooo, it's ok. Balance.

I'm still feeling a bit like I'm lacking some passion. I am still feeling a bit like I need to work on my conversational skills. I find myself struggling to come up with stories and anecdotes about myself. I hate talking about myself and then I begin to feel that I'm prying into people's lives when I ask them personal questions. I used to like doing that, you know? Asking personal questions? Prying? Almost to the point of discomfort. I can't even remember what changed - what made me step back from it. I mean - I do it at work now. Maybe that's it? Maybe it's more like being at work and I'm looking to avoid it in my free-time? Well that would suck, huh? It's ok, I'm making conscious efforts now. And I'm pretty happy now. So ... yea. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment