Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Epileptics have seizures!?

Today I relayed to my attending the enjoyment I was getting out of spending more time with patients and the leisurely consult. This was quite apropos as I had just finished seeing and writing up my first consult of the day (started @ 8am) and it was 10 am and it wasn't until 11 am that we finally left that area of the hospital. Yea, that's right, between 8am and 11am I saw, count 'em, ONE patient. Neuro is chillax. What's nice is that my attending does appreciate that I take a more thorough inpatient approach instead of the quick-and-dirty that the ED often forces.

I did see an interesting case today - Opsoclonus-Myoclonus. This dude's eyes were off the charts with flutter. The afternoon was pretty benign with another consult on a lady with epilepsy who, dum-dum-dum, had a seizure!!!! Then I got sent home early and took advantage by climbing for a few hours and then heading home. Climbing was good - I found a guy to take the trad course with me. It's a $200 investment, but something that I think I need to do in order to feel like I'm (1) getting outside here in NC more and (2) advancing in my climbing. I'm not in college anymore. I don't have at my disposal a killer outdoors club with free stuff. I have an income and enough money to spend on myself. It is OK for me to take advantage and try to make myself feel like a climber again. :)

1 comment: