Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Journal club (minus the journal).

I feel like an idiot. Tonight was journal club and I was on the presenting team. It was me, DB (another 2nd yr), DS (an intern), and MA (a third year). The topic was selected about 3 weeks ago - Contrast Induced Nephropathy. The articles were sent out 2 weeks ago. I printed the 3 out and read them on the plane on the way home from vacation. I got my assignment for journal club - write-up our discussion of the articles and a brief summary of each to be mailed to the people who couldn't attend. Huh. Only 2 of the articles will be presented - one by DB & one by DS. MA and I will not do any speaking at journal club. Huh.

So, I spend about 4-5 hours in advance of JC putting together a hand-out nicely summarizing the articles and including a discussion of positives and negatives. MA then tells me that I shouldn't bring it but just add whatever additions we have from JC to it and mail it out later. Huh. So we do JC, the 2 articles are presented. I sit back and take furious notes. At the end of it, the facilitator (a little drunk on wine) looks over at me with a questioning look. Later he says, "I thought you were presenting" and walks off. FML.

What a stupid change to the JC procedure - one person to just make notes and not actually present an article. *sigh*

In other news, I have a trad climbing class lined up for myself to get my trad climbing chops back. Furthermore, PittStain, I had already spent some time on summitpost and I greatly desire a return to Seattle for perhaps a rendezvouz @ 14,411 ft. Just saying.

Looking toward the future -- I need to figure girls out.

1 comment: